Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Beer! Beer! Beer!

11:00pm at night, I was finally in Graz! Leaving all my luggages at the dorm, Johannes and I decided to go for a drink. After a freaking long flight, I was craving for a chilly cold drink. We walked along the University area and in less than 10 minutes we arrived at Posaune. Then, he asked me whether I would like to have a beer. At that very instance, I felt like shit... beer... nightmare... However, not wanting to be a social moron only after an hour in Graz, I said yes unheartedly and got myself a glass of Murauer. To my surprise, I found myself enjoying it so much. Yap, very much! I had my first ever sip of Styria beer and I am loving it. Only later that I found out, it was the best beer in the province. I was lucky!

Murauer

Probably because I drink so much, not many people know that I actually hated beer so much! My first can of beer was Carlsberg. I had it when I was 14. On the night that I slept over Caleb's place... Why I still remember it? Simply because I hated the drink so much, the taste was bitter and awfull! I tried it because it was quite a cool thing to do... Yap, when you were 14, you tends to act foolish and serves me right that I got a kickarse headache and allergic the next day. I couldn't understand back then why my other classmates like it so much.

For many years, I did not have another one till my arrival at Melbourne. There I experienced the worst beer, Victoria Bitter. It tasted like shit! Just didn't understand why they are still in the market. For that encounter, I had refused another beer until one day. Yes! D day! Me and the girls went pub hopping on a Friday night and I found Little Creature Pale Ale. Thanks to Louisa, I see a glimse of light and hope in the future of beer! The lychee after taste was fantastic! Then there were Asahi and Kirin. However, I was still not really into beer and will rather pay more for spirits or cocktails. That was 5 weeks ago back in Australia.

While now, things have changed dramatically in Austria. For the coming days, there were Gosser, Puntigamer, Rudolf, Edelweiss, Wiselberg. First six days for first six different beers and the list is gonna get longer and longer... Just yesterday, I had my first Upper Austria beer, Piefer and now I am finishing off this, on my way to the Pub for another drink. Undoubtedly, Austrian beer is something that cannot be missed! Prost!

No comments: