Monday, May 29, 2006

Braun de Praun

Struggled to open my eyes, I moved my body to the other side to reach the mini clock on my bed side. Without glasses, I could hardly read the time... It was 12:00pm noon I guess and I went back to my comfy bed. Five minutes later, I jumped off my bed! Shit! I was gonna be late! I had someone for lunch in 30 minutes time. Quickly I got myself cleaned and of course, styled my hair and ran out. Nothing surprise and I was indeed really late. Luckily, we were still able to get two seats in Braun de Praun. Apparantly, it is quite a famous Austrian restaurant. Hmmm~~ I sensed good food.

Walking in the reataurant, it wasn't as packed as expected. From what I heard, it is hard to get a table without prior reservation. Regardless, we were showed our way to the side hall. The restaurant did not have fancy deco, but rather traditional interior with laminated wooden wall and flooring with matched lamps, linens, utensils... It was reasonable comfortable and spacey. The waiter then left us after leaving down the menu. Flipping through the menu, my god! There were more than 150 dishes (entree, main and dessert)! Listening closely to the description, many dishes on the menu sounded interesting and yummy. Thus, we decided to ask for recommendations and waived toward the waiter to get his attention... 1 minute gone, 3 minutes gone, 5 minutes gone, 8 minutes gone... Finally, he saw us. Although I was not really happy with the wait, the waiter was really a great help in advising. He gave us unbiased opinion and would constantly remind us if we ordered too many.

Entree, Ungarische Gulyassuppe mit Gebäck. A Styria style Hungarian traditional meat soup. The funny thing about this soup was that the cook roasted the soup... It might sound weird, but yes the soup was literally roasted. The soup has a very strong and dense flavour, come with fine shreded beef and poatatoes. It tasted like non spicy type tomato curry soup. The texture of the soup was as thick as gravy and it could be overwhelming drinking the soup by its own. However, served with local black wheat bread and pumpkin seed bread, it was quite nice. Somehow remind me of having bread dipped with leftover curry gravy. Not as unique as I had anticipated.

Ungarische Gulyassuppe mit Gebäck

Main, Steirischer Bauernschmaus. Very typical traditional Austrian dish. It was served in the form of platter with smoked pork, grilled pork, sausages surrounding the ham pickles mix and Knödel in the middle. The Knödel is a foundation of German cooking and is often served like rice in Chinese cuisine. It is round in shape and it is commonly made of potato or semmel with herbs. Tasting the sausage at first, I found nothing special and I went on to the pickles. The pickle was quite fresh and was not too sour, have it with the ham was nice. It was the best pickle I had it in Austria so far. While the grilled pork together with the gravy was nice and the meat was tender at just right, but if you would pay more attention, can still feel the slight stink proky smell. Then I tried the smoked pork. Chewing it in my mouth, I could taste the salty and smoky, would be nice with the black wheat bread. For Knödel, I will pass my comments. I did not enjoy the main as much.

Steirischer Bauernschmaus

The serving was relatively large. I could already feel myself full upon finishing the soup and the main was even bigger. For the size and taste, I think the price was very reasonable. Whether I will come back again, I will say probably not in a hurry. However, what do I know, I only been here once...

Me bill for the meal,
Entree ............................................ EURO$4.20
Main ................... EURO$13.00
Total .............................................. EURO$17.20

Two words, "So so..."

No comments: