Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Getting there... I guess...

Although I have been working for Infineon for almost a month, I didn't mention much about my work...

Still remember my first day that I was so nervous and excited. Before I stepped out of the dorm, I had taken so long trying to mix match my suits, shirt, tie and leather shoes. Changing from red, green, brown, purple till finally settle with blue grey stripes tie with white shirt. Then had my almost hardened bread with Nutella… Then, checked through my bag again and again to make sure I had all the necessary documents… every minute, every second seem so tense at that time. All I had in my mind was "Good impression on the first day is a must!" While, it turned out to be a mistake... Everyone in the company was wearing casual. Yes indeed, vvvvery CASUALLLL! In a sudden, I could feel myself frozen, like a chill thousand-year-old ice cube or probably another well dressed peacock surrounded by humans looking over the cage. Shit! Shit! Shit! Later when I went lunch with my colleague, I could hardly not notice the look from the people in the restaurant. It was totally... Sigh... However, my colleagues have been great in helping me settle down in the company and that was the comfort for the day. *I could hear someone laughing from the other end of the planet*

Two days since, I met up with the department manager, Thomas, who has been friendly. He gave me an introduction of the company and the core research function of the Graz R&D Centre as well as some basics of the products which the department is developing. Then, he sent me two 100-page-more data sheet and a reference to read. At that moment, I felt myself hanging in the middle of nowhere. I had yet to know what I am going to do for the next 7 months, just have to wait.

Day4, read data sheet...
Day 5, read data sheet...
Day 6, read data sheet...
... ... ... ... Day 14, read data sheet...

Shit! I felt so unproductive! Getting paid to sit in front of the computer doing nothing for 8.5 hour every day... Wait a moment, let me correct it. Getting paid to read the same data sheet for 8.5 hours for the past 14 days was really bad. Finally, I was assigned to a new product development team on day 15. Just when I was going to cheer 3 times out loud... There was a technical fault in my user account and I had to wait for another week to access the files and programs. So, another unmotivated aimless week passed by with myself being paid. Grrrrreeeeaaat… It might seem cool to get paid doing nothing, but I can tell you that really sucks! At least, I got paid… Almost a week now, I am slowly getting into the picture, but there are still long long long way to go. My job role is something that I am not familiar with... Testing and verification through programming... To worsen that, it is a language that I have never heard or used before, NextGen, kind of similar to Visual Basic.Net. The test run program took me 3 days and I am about to finish soon. I am glad I am about to finish it, however the sad part is that it took only half a day for my mentor to finish when he was a trainee…

I might sound pessimistic here, but my enthusiastic brain constantly whisper to me that it is just the process and things will get better. At this moment, I remember Susan Sontag said once, “So bad it is good!” Alright back to work now… *Look around and make sure no one is looking, switch to the blog website to publish…*

No comments: