Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Mauritius, paradise full of traps

Before flying from Paris, I had this over exaggerated ilussion about Mauritius. Not only just my own imagination, it was the press and advertisement as well. Having said that, I am not implying that they were lying, it was just that the greatness of marketing sent me off on the wild voyage of imagination, where every single little flaw seemed not important anymore... Later, these made me realise that it was a pain in the arse.

Traveling within Mauritius can be quite painful, the public transport were really fucked up and can cost a gigantic bomb. Think of it, bus trip to and back from Port Louis costed R$23, while taxi would cost over R$1600 *From my resort...*. To better understand this, it is EURO$0.50 compare to over Euro$40. HOW RidICULOUs!!! Other than the money factor, it was the time! Traveling time could take more than one and a half hour each trip. Bare in mind, it is not only just the trip to Port Louis, it was every trip. Last Tuesday, Chai and I hired a taxi driver to bring us around, the time spent on the attraction sight was less than two hours, but traveling time was at least five hours! *While cannot complain as much... since we decided to visit...*

Then, there was this over commenting and beautified of places. Grand Baie is the touristiest place on the island and it is described as 'shopping haven' of Mauritius, while overpriced items plus limited selection were the only thing I found. Both Port Louis and Grand Baie can be visited on the same day, it is more than enough I will say. Then there was these beaches, corals and marine life... Cough, COugh, couGH... Bullshit! CouGH! Bullshit. Those are the places I got cheated big time. So, I joined this tour at that the hotel under the impression that it will be snorkeling. Great!!! When after the endless travelling we reached the location, only to find sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand and sand. Later, when I got back and I talked to the PR lady and guess what she said... "Yes, there is only sand and you can do snorkeling as well..." I was like DDDDDDDDeeEEEeeEE!!!! Why would I want to pay to see sand??? Snorkeling = see corals + fishes + etc!!! Hello, knock knock knock!!!!! This wasn't the only tourist trap... I talked to the gay couple I met at the bar, they were tricked big time on the following day, they went to see dolphins, and it only appeared for like 3 minutes... That was it and the trip was more expensive than the faked snorkeling trip. Basket! Nonetheless, I have to be fair as well. The beaches were pretty, the clouds were wonderful and I did swim with the fishs in the end...

Another good thing was to meet Oby. This guy who I had mistakenly thought from Hong Kong, *Thanks to Rhavy for the wrong information* was actually a Singaporean. Cool, well groomed and trendy, that was my 1st impression. *On top of that, he had a very nice bag... Comme Des Garcons round leather bag... clean cut, stylish and simple...* Although just got to spend a day wih him, we clicked in many ways and I am sure we will meet again in Singapore. *Dont you think so Oby?* Then it was, dear dear dear Chai, good to see ya mike~~

PS... time for dinner... will post photo when i get back

1 comment:

Angry said...

Sand snorkelling.. that's the first i heard *LOL*