Friday, July 14, 2006

Jazz in Town

Jazz and soul music has always been my favourite. Often, I like to chill out by the couch, lying lazily, with a glass of whisky on rock, singing to the lyrics… the music always smoothen my day and especially after a tense day, it is so nice. Of course, the type of music being played was easy-slow-pace-vocal type. I really enjoy this way to end my day.

Occasionally with some friends, we would go down to the local Jazz bar for some live music and few glasses of white. In Melbourne, Dizzy’s is D bar. Housed in the original Richmond Post Office, the heritage building has been beautifully preserved by a sweeping lilac entrance that leads into an open, wooden-floored room with amazingly high ceilings. Nice atmosphere and music just kept us coming back. One of the best moments was Axel Whitehead and Cat’s Empire jamming through the night, it was just fantastic!

So when Jazz Sommer Graz was just around the corner, I had asked some friends out for the opening party in Dom in Berg. Reading the pamphlet, “…Big John and the Vienna Soul Society with special guest, the legendary Hans Salomon on Saxophone…” *Not an idea who they are…* I thought that the show would be good… It was an opening after all. Walking into the bar, I was captivated for a moment. As far as bar goes, it was my first time in a bar housed within a mount, it was cool… However, I was quickly diverted by the numbers of people. For an opening party, there weren’t much people around and I began to worry. Fortunately, my concerns were soon out of the window, once the show started. It was only the second song, people started to crowd to the front, dancing to the funky rhythms, having their hands in the air, clapping hands and stomping the floor as the beats went, I was one of them as well… Showing some move~~~ *Kekekekeekeke…* Hans was my favourite that night and I really enjoyed listening to him jamming with his saxophone. A short time, I would slow down my pace and sank into the melody.

Big John the vocalist
Hans Soloman on Saxophone

Although the show started late midnight, ended 2:30 in the morning and I had to work in the next few hours, it was a blast and worth my sleeping time! *Yawning… Rubbing my eyes…* Luckily, I am leaving work soon and will be going on a road trip to Croatia for the weekend.

No comments: