Monday, July 03, 2006

What’s wrong with supporting Germany?

Thursday night ended with watching Serenity at Philips’ place, a science fiction movie rescripted from the original drama series, since the plan to Grazer Oper (Opera Graz) failed in the end. The ticket was sold out. It was a lazy night… At least, I could get some rest before the long weekend.

By 8:15am Friday morning, I was already awaked. Not that my sleeping time had shortened, just that the match Germany against Argentina was today. I was struggling to choose between which jerseys to wear and who to support. I had been supporting both the Germans and Argentineans since I-do-not-know-when for different reasons. As time passed by, I just put on my German jersey… I guess I have more love to the German team. Quickly, I ran to the bus stop and hopefully, I would catch the bus. Damn! I missed it.

Sitting on the next bus and thinking about the match later today, I was determined to leave work before the match started. Throughout the lunch break, I was excited and was talking about the match with my colleagues. However, most of my colleagues were not as enthusiastic as I was. Strangely, they did not seem to like the Germans as much. One of my colleagues was saying, “… Why are you supporting the Germans?” Somehow, I just laughed and joked around it. This also reminded me what Sebastian had said once, “The Germans beat us on almost every sports other than the winter sports, Austrian in general do not favour them…” Another friend said, “… Support England because they are the enemy of German…” While… Who cares, I was just going to support the Germans anyway.

As the day unfolded, I found myself stuck in the laboratory without realising the time. This was the third testing board that I had built for the past whole week, and it is not working! I checked the short circuit, the connections, the components… What is going wrong? I can’t figure it out and nor does Mattias… When I turned my head to look at my watch during a break, it was already 5:40pm. Shit! I just realised that I had missed the first half. Saying goodbye to Mattias, I packed my stuff and ran towards the nearest tram stop. Fortunately, the second half of the match started after I got myself a seat in the pub down town and ordered a glass of beer. The good news was that it was still nil both sides and I didn’t miss much. I heard from the guys beside me, the first match wasn’t as interesting. They are supporting the Germans. *Winked* finally some German fans. When Argentina scored, my mood dropped and I was in total silence… until Klose headed in the ball… Frankly speak, this was a tough match and it didn’t surprise me that it ended up with penalties, but my hand was sweating when I was watching the scores. With my hands together against my lips and a long deep breath, I was waiting for the Germans to score the deciding goal that would end the match. In less than few seconds, I yelled and roared together with the German fans. Germany had won!

With much satisfaction, I hopped on a tram to the Technical University for the BBQ, free food and drinks~ later, the night ended at a local pub with Bjarne and Laura drunk. Again in the pub, someone just asked me same question, “… Why are you supporting the Germans?” Also, two guys who I met when I was walking back home, asked me that question as well. I was wondering then, was it a problem? *Sigh*

No comments: