Thursday, July 13, 2006

Trap in Vienna

When I saw an article about the 250th anniversary celebration of Mozart few months back, I never expected to be in Austria. *Bloody Bosch! Dragged my application for so long and cancelled the placement with no reasons…* Although I have never been a classical fan, I had often come across some of the I-do-not-know-the-title songs of Mozart. *Just happened to have bunch of friends that are into classical or in the music field…* The article interested me so much and I felt like having a piece of Mozart. When I was told later that I would be going to Austria, I was so excited.

Walking in the streets of Vienna, I was often attracted by the surroundings, the buildings, the gates, the sculpture, the paintings, the columns, the bricks and the fountains, the tourists like me… I had to stop so frequent to take photos *A typical Asian… I know…* Especially with Johannes giving history background and stories as we went, the afternoon stroll in the city was great. One thing that we hardly not notice, was people dressed up in 18th century’s costume with a box in their hands. Just when I was wondering, we were approached. Apparently, they were ticket sellers of live concerts. This reminded me of what some friends told me.

During summer, some friends worked as part time performers in the Vienna’s theatre. It was not hard to get a job, there was a demand and it was also quick money. There are theatres that held Mozart concerts aimed at tourists and the cheapest ticket would cost more than a hundred Euros. After few concerts, they found the Japanese would pay for some of the most expensive ticket and sat at the first few rows. They would have a camera hanged over their neck, flashing all over the hall before the concert started and clapped excitedly when it finished. Little that they knew, this was just another tourist trap and it won’t be the last one as there are more targeted at them. To most of the Austrians I had spoken to, they always have a good impression on the Japanese. However sometimes, they would joke on how stupid the Japanese were to pay for something that was ridiculously overpriced. While I have no intentions neither undermine nor insult the Japanese and to certain extend, I almost fell into some as well. *Thanks to the people that reminded me this and that were just another tourist traps…* If I were Mozart, I will be disappointed and upset to be treated as a golden goose. Quickly, we rejected the offer in a nice way and continued our walk. Having said that, I still feel strong about going to a Mozart concert since I am in Austria now. What a dilemma…

After two days with Vienna, I still found my love with Graz. Vienna did not give me a strong impression, probably... I don't know...

No comments: