Monday, May 07, 2007

He ain't heavy, he's my father



If you have been watching Cantonese movies for long, you might not hear of "He ain't heavy, he's my father", but you will probably hear of "新难兄难弟". A 1993 film with big names, such as 梁家辉, 梁朝伟, 袁咏仪, 刘嘉玲, 陈可辛... *Sorry... Don't know their English name...* The story talked about Yuen scorns his father, who he thinks is too generous and forgiving. Through a time travel gimmick, Yuen meets his parents during their joyous courtship. Yuen comes to understand and admire his dad, and reflect on his own moral defects. A story with much to think of and reflect on, especially, on the way how people deal with relationships.


It is one of my all time favourites.

So when Winnie told me about the screen play in Melbourne Uni, I said yes without a second thoughts. However, I was not impressed at all. Well... I do understand that it was a student play and I should not be complaining as much, but I have to pay $15 to get a seat. Frankly speaking, it did not worth that price with my critique hat on. Some of the actors did not bring out the essence of the characters and some were just trying too hard. The side dialogue was a bit disengaging instead of engaging. The pace of the play could be better. *For many moments, I had almost fallen asleep* Also, I was hoping for some new ideas integrated into the script and apparently not. Having said so, the stage setting was quite nice and the mother-in-law character was well played.
*Hmmm...*

For some I-do-not-know reasons, the play gave me an unsettle feeling and there was a sense of creepiness... *It somehow reminds me of The Butterfly Effect... Yikes!*

No comments: