Monday, June 18, 2007

Bang! Bang!


A normal day, a normal morning, little would I expect such an early call. I reached to my jeans for my mobile. It was a message.

Yong, "Hey good morning, just wanna let u guys know. There is shooting going on in the city n the gun man is still out there. Be careful."

I thought someone was just being nasty in the morning and went back to bed...

...

Later in the afternoon, I realised that it was not a joke. A man was trying to drag a lady into the cab early this morning. While the lady resisted and attracted passers by attentions. Few approached to extend their help to the lady. The man laid his hands off the lady, pulled out his gun and started to shoot. "Bang! Bang!" A man collapsed and was killed instantly with two shots. The shooting continued and couple fell injured...

The thought of it can happen to anyone of us, freaks me out and gives me this creepy feeling. Somehow, it also reminds me of my conversation with mum days ago. I am still indecisive whether or not to leave Melbourne. She advised me to stay on and was showing her concern about the current situation in JB. It is a Sin City literally these days. Rape, robbery, murder... You name it. Caleb was back in JB few weeks ago and he was shocked by the situation. Jiang was just talking about the car accident scandal days ago. There was this comment, "if you have not been a victim of a crime, then you are not from JB..." How sad to hear that...

Although authorities claims crime rate has reduced, hardly anyone feel the situation is getting in control. The fact that the recent rape case victims being ping pong from one police station to another when attempting to make reports, do give some clues on why crime rates have reduced. I can't stop doubting whether or not the government's plan in developing the southern region will succeed with disturbing frequency of crimes happening these days.

Am I gonna be the next victim with a bang? Fingers crossed, hopefully not...

No comments: