Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Human Rights Day.


10th December ---> Human Rights Day...

Reading various articles about the current human rights issues yesterday, I couldn't help thinking, what does it really mean? How does it translucent into actual action and something more than papers?

Headlines such as China Bad Records in Human Right, Human Rights Violation in Zimbabwe, Genocide in West Papua... flashed out every now and then on the news channel certainly help none to answer my question. How about some of the well developed western nation?

In a nut shell ---> 1. The Right to Equality 2. The Right to Freedom 3. The Right to Freedom of Religion 4. The Right against Exploitation 5. Cultural and Educational Rights 6. The Right to Constitutional Remedies.

Yes, indeed I found some clues, yet not quite… However after a deeper thought, I wonder do they practise it thoroughly? I have serious doubt.

I was reading the newspaper then ---> 1. US faked details and mislead the international community in waring Iraq 2. US tolerate the militaria dictatorship in Pakistan 3. Russia's strong fist action on Chechnya rebels 4. Portugal and Spain's strong position against separatists 5. Israel's arguable action on Palestine, alright I will say invasive...

It seems to me that human rights vary depending on situations. Rather than being a value or norm, it looks more like an excuse to intervene under the name of national interests and securities. Human rights with a labelled condition? Isn't it hypocritical?

Should human rights have to fit within a size 4 dress that those in power define it as perfect? I don’t know the right answer for that and I doubt even so. The day when everyone is happy is yet anywhere near.

I merely hope for the basic of the basics that poverty will be a word in history and no more war.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

寫中文啦....﹝哭鬧中﹞
終於有你的消息了,我還在擔心,不知道你怎麼了。
我好像沒有你另一個e-mail地址耶,可以給我嗎?還有,你的生日到底是什麼時候啊?認識這些日子,我居然沒有問過你,實在是太扯了...
對了,我昨晚夢到你耶,細節不記得了,可是我想那是你。我們好像約了一起去吃飯,哈,又是吃.....
抱歉,這篇留言跟你的文章一點關聯都沒有,因為我不知道該留在哪裡。

Mel said...

*smile* okie okie~ I will try to... will mail my address and my date of birth to you later...

That is a good sign, that means you will have good thing to eat and of course a fantastic company~ *wink*