Tuesday, October 31, 2006

There are definitely better things to do in life.


B: “Do you like my msn photo?”
*Looking at the photo. It was a photo of a guy, bent down his upper body toward table, sucking some cocaine with a tube.*
Mel: “Not at all. I hate people who deal drugs.”
B: “You hate me?”
*B went offline… Nonetheless, I left a message.*
Mel: “I just thought that they are better things to do than doing drugs.”
Mel: “Never meant to offend anyone and I just think it is wrong.”

Last year, *I might be wrong on the timing…* a Vietnamese Australian was hanged for possessing drugs. There was huge discussion and publicity back in Australia and the community was divided on the death penalty sentences. *Not gonna go into details.*

The thing that I could not believe it was that the Australian government had requested to reduce the penalty to life sentences. The premier and foreign minister begging for a drug trafficker… *Huhhhh!!??!?!???!!* Don’t they have better things to do?

The media heavily cover the story and for a period of time, it was on the front page… *Huhhh!!??!?!???!!* Wasn’t there more important things to report?

Oppss… I remember now, it was violation of human rights.

Human rights are important! Yap, I agreed and strongly believe! *Both hands up cheering for those activists, only non-violence one…* However, when one’s human right has destructively impact to the community in whole, don’t we need to rethink the fundamental of human right? I may not be an academia or some big shot in human rights, but I deeply believe and know that it is built on the basis of mutual respect.

Imagine this. I took out my AK47 and starting to shoot everyone in public. You see it is my right! It is my right to shoot and kill. By the way, none could shot me or you will be violating my human rights! *Okie… the example is hysterical and exaggerating* Hellooooo!!!!?

How can one asked for respect for human rights when one has never respected that at the first instant.

One can argue that one finally know and learn from the mistake. A chance for a new life should be given. If we are talking about an underage kid, while fine, the kid is still young and mistakes do happen. *Who hadn’t done any foolish thing when they were young, I did.* However, this is an adult that we are talking about. He should know that he is responsible for his own actions and prepare to take the consequences.

I can empathy and probably understand the reasons for why some have got into drugs *of course, also for those with legitimate reasons such as medical purpose.*, but the others, they are taking it just to kill themselves. Taking or dealing drugs not only hurt themselves, while also the people around, their friends, their family… The only word I can think of such act is SELFISH.

I did take some drugs when I was young, and I know it was a problem to my health then. Although it was the result of curiosity and kind of cool thing to do then, it was a mistake. *It was only a very small period…* I quit. So, don’t tell me I haven’t been there and I don’t know how it feels.

There are definitely better things to do in life.
P/S: Happy Halloween~~~~~~~ *smile*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

happy halloween u!

mmm drugs are bad

chrissieeeeee