Thursday, December 28, 2006

Chilly and beautiful Prague.

Prague Old Town

Prague was not as cold as Graz, smart I was to put on just a thin jacket. Waiting at the tram stop for less than 5 minutes, I could already feel my bones shivering. I could not help rubbing my hands on the jacket. Although the dorm was just 5 minutes away, yet I was too lazy *Yeah yeah... Served me right... Laugh~*

Unlike the usual description of winter Prague, I was blessed with bluish clear sky and a sunny bright morning. Other than the cold, it was all fine~ I was in a good mood to explore. I started with Prague Castle. Although I am very sick of castle, this would be an exception. After all, it is listed as the largest ancient castle by World Guinness Record. It worth the time I guess... Swiftly, I signed up for a guided tour.

Guided tour is like a two sided blade, it can be either dreadful or pleasure, it all come down to the guide. If the guide mutters like my high school Bio teacher, it will be a pain. Somehow, they always have a unmistakable successive way in hypnotising me. There was no once that that I never dozed off. Fortunately, the guide for the trip was quite good, engaging and interactive. As we slowly walked, we passed through the Royal Garden, the President Office, the Cathedral of St Vitus, St Wenceslas and St Adalbert, the Basilica of St George, the Golden Lane... The 2 hours tour seemed short and we had gone through topics like histories, people, architectures, arts and politics. Also, seen bit and pieces of Prague. It was quite enjoying. After to tour, I headed up to the cathedral tower. There, a 360 degree view of Prague. It was windy and chilly, but the scene had captured my mind for while. It was sometime later that I finally realised I had been on the same spot for a long time. As the fog got thicker, the sun gradually lost in the mist, only beams of light broke through. Prague was gradually getting back to it usual winter self.

the Cathedral of St Vitus, St Wenceslas and St AdalbertPrague Castle

Stepping out of the castle, I took a path along Vltava and headed to the King Charles Bridge. Like any other tourists, when I reached St John of Nepomuk, I touched the statues. As it said to bring good luck *I will need luck for the coming year in all ways. Not superstitious, yet superstitious can be. Again, I am not Catholic, does it count? Smile...* By that time I reached the old town, my stomach was groaning. Time for for some nice Czech food. It was only a short one day, but the beauty of Prague has captured my heart. For many times, even when my hand was frozen, I would bear the pain to hold my camera with the mini tripod, *Seriously, it was a mixture of numbness and burnt...* Trying to keep the moment in a photo. However, I think the photos were not as nice and I will try again later. *Crossed fingers.*

Tower by north end of King Charles Bridge

Out of topic... For some reasons I had written this article for three times as the computer just went off line... Hmmm... Not much luck, John... and fox ain't replying after 3 hours. T_T

Prague Town HallAstronomical ClockDancing House
The memorial to the victims of communismLennon Wall

No comments: